Friday, February 4, 2011

and I'll be in Scotland afore ye...

ceilidh  [kay-lee]

-- (esp in Scotland and Ireland) an informal social gathering with folk music, singing, dancing, and storytelling.

(courtesy of dictionary.com)


I went to my first ceilidh tonight!  As a final welcome to the new JSA's (I finally learned what that stands for - Junior Study Abroad), the Student Services office put on a ceilidh for us and the returning students in the Student Union (think University Center - though we did have to buy tickets for it :( but it was well worth it!).

First off, what is a ceilidh???  Please see the definition above minus the storytelling.  Basically it is a party with Scottish folk dancing (similar to contradancing and American folk dancing - aka the Virginia Reel, though a tad bit more complex).  So much fun, and what a workout!  We did a variety of dances (the names of which escape me), including their version of the Virginia Reel!  (It was different from the Virginia Reel that I've done back home, so I guess there are several different kinds?)  And boy, was I thankful to have two SinfoniContras under my belt! :)


The wonderful folk band that taught us to dance!


Dancing!

Midway through the party, they served us traditional stovies, which actually was pretty okay!  It tasted like corned beef mixed with mashed potatoes.  Now, I don't know if that's what it actually is comprised of or not, but hey, when in Rome! :)  During the second round of dancing, one of the band members asked me to help him demonstrate a Swedish court dance - which was so much fun even though I had absolutley no idea what I was doing at first!

The folk band ended the dance (after about THREE hours of dancing!) with "Loch Lomond" -- one of my favorite traditional songs.  I feel in love with the song after hearing the Gentlemen of the College (one of WM's male a cappella groups) sing it during my freshman year.  An absolutely beautiful song - and it was the perfect end to the evening!  The band then asked all everyone who was still there (by this point in the night, most of the students had left) to join hands in a circle and we all (meaning those who knew the words - I personally stumbled through the words that I did know) sang Auld Lang Syne, which is apparently the traditional way to end a party/gathering.  AHHH!!! I LOVE TRADITION!!!


Taking a break and eating some stovies!

P.S.  Just a little fun fact -- I have only been in-country for 5 days, and I am already beginning to acquire an accent.  It only happens with certain words (usually random ones in the sentence) and is certainly stronger after I have been around Scottish people.  For example, while writing this entry, I was thinking most of the words with an accent.  Talk about weird.  And its not just me!  My friend Bess has also begun developing an accent.  CRAZY!  If it's starting after five days, I can't imagine what I'll sound like when I leave here in four months!


By yon bonnie banks and by yon bonnie braes
Where the sun shines bright on Loch Lomond
Where me and my true love will ne-er meet agai
On the bonnie, bonnie banks o’ Loch Lomon'.
Chorus:  O ye’ll tak’ the high road, and I'll tak' the low road
And I’ll be in Scotland afore ye
For me and my true love will ne-er meet again
On the bonnie, bonnie banks o’ Loch Lomon'.
‘Twas there that we parted in yon shady glen
On the steep, steep sides o’ Ben Lomon'
Where in purple hue, the hielan hills we view
And the moon comin’ out in the gloamin’.
Chorus
The wee birdies sing and the wild flowers spring
And in sunshine the waters are sleeping
But the broken heart, it kens nae second spring again
Tho’ the waeful may cease frae their greetin'.
Chorus









2 comments:

  1. That sounds like it was a wonderful evening!!! I cannae wait t' 'ear ya talk when ya return!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bah sounds like ya'll are having a fun time! (hahah like my harrisonburg accent?) :D

    ReplyDelete